News & Events
Arborfield Road Closure
To complete the Shinfield Eastern Relief Road on behalf of the University of Reading, we need to join the new roundabout at Arborfield Road with the A327 and the new relief road. Although we said we’d be able to finish the roundabout during a road closure last summer, this was not possible due to previously unforeseen and necessary design changes.
When will the work take place?
The main part of the work is due to start on 19th August 2016 and be completed by 06.00 hrs on Tuesday 30th August, subject to weather conditions. During this time our hours of working will be from Monday to Saturday (07.00 – 21.00) and Sunday (09.00 – 18.00). These extended hours are subject to final agreement from Wokingham Borough Council and will allow us to maximise our activities. Note that the road closure has been extended for 48 hours until 1 September.
How does this affect residents and businesses?
Having once again reviewed our programme and the available options, Wokingham Borough Council has permitted us a full closure of Arborfield Road. Whilst we understand that some people will be inconvenienced, the road closure allows us to carry out the majority of the remaining work in the safest, most efficient, and overall least disruptive way possible. In fact, we experienced minimal problems when we closed the same section of road last year. After the road has re-opened, it may be necessary to operate temporary off-peak traffic signals. Diversion route signage will be in place to direct through-traffic onto the following agreed route:
- At Arborfield Cross take the B3030 (Sindlesham Road, Mole Road, King Street) to Winnersh;
- Turn left onto the A329 (Reading Road) and then left onto the B3270 (Lower Earley Way North, Lower Earley Way);
- Continue along the B3270 to Black Boy roundabout and then travel over the new M4 bridge to join the A327 to Shinfield.
- From Black Boy roundabout take the B3270 (Lower Earley Way, Lower Earley Way North);
- At Winnersh turn right onto the A329 (Reading Road) and then right onto the B3030 (King Street, Mole Road, Sindlesham Road) to Arborfield Cross.
Buses will still be able to operate, please see Reading Buses for any revised timetables. Due to the nature of the work and the equipment we need to use, some additional noise is likely to be experienced while we are on site.
During the closure, access to and from all properties fronting the A327 within the closure will be maintained, however, this may not be via your normal route. Vehicle access for through-traffic will not be possible in the working area, however, pedestrians and cyclists will be able to use a temporary route at all times.